Irrational use of Antibiotics- A threat to global health!!!
Antibiotics are the medicines used to prevent and treat bacterial infections.
Overuse and misuse of antibiotics have become the emerging cause for antibiotic resistance, threatening the ability to treat the common infectious diseases.
The modernistic epoch of antibiotics hatched with the discovery of penicillin by Sir Alexander Fleming in 1928. Since then, antibiotics have saved millions of lives by transfiguring the advanced medicine. Antibiotics were only given prime importance to treat serious infections in the 1940s. Regardless, shortly thereafter, penicillin resistance became a clinical problem persistently which marked responsible for the threatening of many advances of the prior decade. Despite the fact that new beta-lactam antibiotics were discovered, reviving confidence which lasted for a short
period of time unfortunately, resistance grew up capaciously to almost all the antibiotics that have been developed.
The availability of antibiotics without prescription and lack of regulation leads to easy accessibility, bountiful and cheap, which expedites the overuse and misuse, thus, It is very important to know wise the use of antibiotics,in order to prevent the antibiotic resistance.
To prevent and control the spread of antibiotic resistance, few steps can be followed:
Only use antibiotics when prescribed by a certified health professional.
- Complete the course of antibiotic, despite you feel better after few doses.
- Stick to the same timing.
- Study the side effects of the antibiotics you take.
- Never claim for antibiotics if your health care professional says you don’t need them.
- Do not skip the dose or double the dose.
- Dispose the antibiotics appropriately.
- Do not take the antibiotics prescribed for someone else.
- Prevent infections by regularly washing hands, preparing food hygienically, avoiding close contact with sick people, practice safer sex, and keep vaccinations up to date.
ENLIGHTEN ABOUT ANTIBIOTIC USE, MINIMISE ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE
STAY HEALTHY STAY HAPPY